SEO meaning and its importance in your website
Do you know that more than 100, 000 domains are being registered every single day? And 40% website goes live every day.
Some launched their websites for business purposes while some just want to open a blog to start earning, however, blogs are 70% higher than business websites in the world.
The phrase “SEO” means Search Engine Optimization, SEO make your articles/posts to be visible in search engines (Google, Bing, Baidu, Yandex) results in pages (SERPs) when searched for a particular term that you optimised for.
SEO meaning is the technique of making a website easier to understand by search engines and helpful for users.
One of the SEO goals is to boost organic traffic from search engines by increasing the chances the website appears in the SERPS for several search terms.
As a newbie who just started blogging, leave SEO meaning, for now, you need to focus on the kind of content you want your readers to view, the first three to four months you launched your blog, you should only care to write great content.
There are various types of SEO one is required to carry out for the best results, however, what is significant to understand is that these sub-sets of SEO are not a different process, it’s just a way of breaking down a complicated process into different smaller processes that are easier to manage.
Recommended; How to improve SEO? Check out this guide
The various types of SEO are
- On-page SEO
- Off-page SEO
- Critical SEO
- Mobile SEO
On-page SEO has explained itself already, it to do with the page itself and how to make it friendlier to search engines and users.
It should be observed that while search engines go through a website as a whole, ranking is performed on a page-level basis.
That’s why it is very important to pay awareness to the optimization of every page on your website.
How to do On-page SEO
Here is a step by step guide on how to do On-page SEO;
- Page formatting | Publicizing a page with text and images without spending time to beautify the content is not a good SEO strategy.
- Page title optimisation | This is an important SEO factor. Page titles are displayed in SERPS and should be interesting for users to click. The title of a page should give search engine bots sufficient hints on what the page subject is all about.
- Optimize your headings. Aside from the H1 tag, a page requires to have subheadings (H2, H3) for the different sections. If you observe, you will see that I use all the required tags to enhance the content you’re reading for a better understanding. In the case of long-form content, subheadings make the page easier to read by users and scan by crawlers. (Bots)
- Image SEO | every image used on a page should be suitably optimized, otherwise, search engines cannot understand what they represent. Optimizing the filename, file size and ALT text are important for image SEO.
off-page SEO has to do with procedures you can use to boost your website to appear on search results.
Popular websites tend to rank higher on Google than less popular websites.
How to do off-page SEO
- Link Building. Link building is the method of getting backlinks from other websites/blog, these backlinks act as ‘spare key’ and increase the authority of the target website.Brand Promotion. Google likes to rank known brands high in the results because people trust them.Besides promoting your website to get backlinks, you should also work on promoting your brand and encourage conversations about it in the various social media networks and forums.
Google can pick up these signals and reward websites that people talk about.
Technical SEO is just what the name refers to, that is, technical parameters that affect the visibility of a website in search engines.
The main purpose of technical SEO is to guarantee that search engine crawlers can crawl and index a website without any difficulties.
You may require a web developer to do critical SEO on your website/blog as this is the most important of all.
What you need to know about Technical SEO
- Check and optimize your robots.txt to make sure that search engines can correctly access your website.
- Add and verify your website with Google Search Console and designate your preferred domain.
- Use the COVERAGE report to find and fix crawl errors.
- Create an XML Sitemap and submit it to all important search engines.
- Optimize your site structure and URL structure.
- Follow SEO Friendly web design
- Develop websites that load fast on both desktop and mobile devices.
Mobile SEO is also not a different type on its own, however, it is a sub-set of SEO particularly for mobile devices.
It’s a fact that more than 60% of Google searches are now achieved on mobile devices.
This is a huge number and a good reminder that the Internet is changing positions from the traditional desktop and goes to mobile devices.
It is also the reason that Google decided to create a mobile-first index and start indexing the mobile-friendly version of a website instead of the desktop version.
When doing Mobile SEO, you need to make sure that:
- Your website is mobile-friendly. Running the mobile-friendly test is a good starting point.
- The website loads fast on mobile.
- The website is easy to use on mobile.
- The user experience on mobile is not disturbed by interstitial banners, other methods of aggressive advertising or popups.
There are other types of SEO I didn’t mention, the e-commerce and the Local SEO.
The e-commerce SEO has to do with huge online stores just like Amazon, eBay etc.
What is required to do on e-commerce SEO is to optimise all its pages and its products, then create a blog and optimise it as explained above. Making use of social media is also a great way to let search engines know about your website.
Local SEO is a type of SEO suited for local businesses only.
Also, if you have a website and your goal is to get consumers to visit your local store, then you should optimize your website for local SEO.
Everything that is mentioned above is valid for Local SEO, with the expansion of the following guide
- Make sure that you have your business name, address, contact details on all pages of your website.
I hope this article answer your questions about SEO meaning, please share, it will encourage me to do more.
Originally posted on June 22, 2021 @ 6:49 pm